This fall, Fremont Abbey Arts Center hosted SuperFoods, a pilot program offering free community events to support healthy cooking and creative arts experiences for all ages and incomes. SuperFoods featured cooking classes with guest chefs emphasizing nutrient-rich “superfoods” like blueberries, kale, quinoa, and more. Parents learned how to create nutritious meals and snacks while kids learned dance and visual arts relating to good food and holistic health. Good news- classes will continue through December 10th.
Here’s what attendees from the October classes had to say:
I learned many new cooking techniques and got some great recipes and wonderful info.
I will use more grains and greens in new and fun ways!
I have tried almost every recipe and had great success! (and my family loved it too!)
Participants can join any week. Valued at $30-$50, each class includes free food sampling and supplies. Two sessions are offered every Monday:
- 4-6:30pm FREE class for all ages (priority enrollment for low-income single parents)
- 7-9pm class for ages 21 and older with a $5-15 suggested donation per person
Additional food-centric events at Fremont Abbey Arts Center include:
- Tuesday, 11/27 Appalachia-themed potluck and Pepper Proud concert
- Thursday, 11/29 Fresh Foodies community dinner
- Tuesday, 12/11 SuperFoods celebration and community potluck Saturday
- 12/1 SuperFoods workshop from 10am to noon featuring guest chefs and participation in SWIRL collaborative arts activities for children
Fremont Abbey Arts Center is located at 4272 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle.