News blog for Seattle's Fremont neighborhood

Bicyclist crashes down concrete stairs

By Geeky Swedes · March 14th, 2010 · 21 Comments

Just after 9 p.m. on Sunday, a woman riding her bike crashed while down a long, concrete staircase just above N 42nd St. and 1st. Ave. NW.

We arrived just after medics rushed her to the hospital. Neighbors who heard the crash called 911, and they told us the 20-something woman was wearing a mountain climbing helmet, which had slipped off after the crash. They said it appeared the woman was partying with friends and may have been inebriated at the time. She apparently flipped end-over-end, landing on the last few stairs.

The woman was unconscious and bleeding when medics arrived. There’s no word on her condition. (Thanks Silver for the tip.)

21 responses so far ↓

• 1 schitzdorm // Mar 15, 2010 at 12:49 am

OMG! This is horrible! Are they OK? I use these stairs all the time and would hate if something happened to them. I hope the stairs are alright… Please keep us updated on their condition. Thanks so much!

• 2 K. Lambert // Mar 15, 2010 at 11:40 am

she’s seriourly injured, you prick

• 3 Tom Sparks // Mar 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I live right around the corner. Friends should protect each other from these type of actions, we need to help each other. Sometimes we make bad choices and friends can help steer us the right direction. I wish her a full and quick recovery.

• 4 634563 // Mar 15, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Wow! what an idiot. Hope she recovers to tell the tale and keep atleast 1 other person from doing it.

• 5 JC // Mar 15, 2010 at 5:44 pm

This might be whey it’s a bad idea to bike down a concrete staircase. It brings to mind an Unsane video from many years ago:

Seriously, though, I hope she recovers quickly.

• 6 Silver // Mar 16, 2010 at 12:37 am

Good to know that she had *some* kind of helmet on. I couldn’t tell from what I heard on the scanner. They did say that she is 25 years old. Please let us know if you hear anything about how she is doing.

• 7 Ballardite // Mar 16, 2010 at 11:45 am

I find some of your comments pretty heartless. She’s a human being. She made a bad, alcohol-induced choice. I hope she’s okay.

• 8 susanjk // Mar 17, 2010 at 8:18 am

Poor woman. Drove her bike down the stairs in an alcholic stupor and all these mean people are poking fun at her.

• 9 freelardian // Mar 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

Heard last night from the neighbor who lives at the top of the steps, and who called 911 (and rendered aid, as he’s a physician’s assistant). The young woman involved has been taken off a ventilator and is out of the ICU. She can apparently use her hands and respond to commands to squeeze hands. She and her friends had been drinking at the Buckaroo. We’re overly used to people leaving the Buck drunk on other modes of transport, but they’re usually people from our neighborhood. This young woman was apparently visiting friends, and the threesome on bikes were all unfamiliar with the fact that streets in Fremont end in steps sometimes.

• 10 LesserFremont // Mar 18, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Judging from the comments I guess people think it’s okay to make fun of someone who was nearly killed because alcohol was involved. I sure these mental midgets have never made a poor choice in their shallow lives, either. I hope she’s okay.

• 11 dave // Mar 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

As a small person, I object to the term “midget”. How insensitive.

• 12 Phinney // Mar 18, 2010 at 10:17 pm

LesserFremont, it looks like the harsh comments were made before anybody realized the seriouness of her injuries. I will admit, as a biker I even found the report a bit humerous too.
    I hope that she has a full recovery and is able to one day get back on a bicycle again.

• 13 louploup // Mar 20, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I also live close by, and carry my bike up and down those steps regularly. I went to look just now (Saturday, March 20) and see that very recently (since I last went up a few days ago) the curb has been cut to make it easier to access the house being worked on at that corner. If the curb had still been there, no biker, drunk or not, would have as easily gone flying off those steps. I suspect that curb cut is totally illegal (that house has off-street parking and access down below, off 2nd and up dead end of 42nd). I intend to find out.

Update Monday a.m. (March 22). I looked up the address and discovered that the house there (106 NW 42nd) has a permit (no. 6217002) that includes adding an accessory dwelling unit (ADU). ADUs usually require separate off-street parking for the ADU. The permit mentions a curb cut. I suspect it’s to provide access to parking on the top of the site north of the sidewalk for the ADU. Another friend called SDOT and heard that where street goes straight into stairs, there’s supposed to be a barrier. There is a barrier at that corner, but it’s to the south, and doesn’t directly block bikes (as we sadly know). You cannot put an effective barrier there and have a working curb cut/access to parking at 106 NW 42nd. I’ve sent this info to DPD’s complaint office, and the SDOT person was going to follow up as well. More later as we hear it…

• 14 thinkkarma // Mar 22, 2010 at 9:09 am

I am appalled and disheartened by some of the reactions and comments posted here. Throughout the past week, I have been moved by the compassion and kindness from my community in dealing with this tragic and traumatic accident. How utterly disappointing to read this today. Please know that when you make these public posts you are representing yourself and our community. This is your digital footprint. What kind of an impression to you want to leave on the world and those who read it?

Thank you to those of you who have had the heart and compassion to remember that this is a story is about a PERSON who lives in our community and woman loved by many.

• 15 Mary Edwards // Mar 23, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Why is everyone so willing to defend the actions of a drunken biker? If she’d been driving a car, no one would be so forgiving. Even if she was driving alone. She was drunk, she did something stupid, and now she’ll probably be crippled for the rest of her life. It’s sad, but when you drink and drive, or drink and bike, or drink and do anything stupid, you will sometimes pay a huge price for your foolish judgement.

• 16 Ezy_E // Mar 24, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Every person here has made foolish judgement, don’t lie or be a hypocrite.

As stated above:

” I hope the stairs are alright… Please keep us updated on their condition.”

“Wow! what an idiot.”

Do you actually think this is necessary/productive? Are we really defending the actions of this girl or rebuking the language of others in this forum?

I hope deep with my heart and hearts within my community that she’ll grow and learn. I too am appalled by the comments of this forum from others within our community!

• 17 susanjk // Mar 24, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Oh, I have little doubt that she's gonna learn from this experience. She's not going to forget this lesson for a long long long time.

• 18 Missiv // Mar 25, 2010 at 8:29 am

Isn't that called drunk driving? If she was driving a car, there would be zero pity. Aren't bikes vehicles?

• 19 susanjk // Mar 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Yes, it's drunk driving whether it is a car, a motorcycle, or a bike, and in some places, she'd be shackled to her bed and thrown in jail when she recovered.

• 20 braddeanthompson // Apr 5, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Is there any update from SDOT?

• 21 Jackie // Apr 12, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Why does someone think the city should have to correct ever little nitpicking defect in the public infrastructure? Let Darwin rule!! This one woman has learned her lesson.