I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for all this rain to go away. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like it will happen this weekend. At least there are plenty of distractions to hopefully makes things a little better.
- Girls Rock! Seattle is hosting a benefit show on Friday at High Dive (513 N. 36th St) to raise money for the Girls Rock Camp Alliance. Bands performing in this 50 Shows in 50 States concert are Goodness, The Redwood Plan, Eighteen Individual Eyes and Alicia Dara. Show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $10. This is a 21+ event.
- This isn’t in the neighborhood but we thought it was important enough for a mention. Get a free prostate screening on Friday courtesy of Seattle Prostate Institute on the Swedish/First Hill campus (1101 Madison Medical Tower, Suite 1101 – corner of Boren and Madison). Appointments are needed and available from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call (206) 215-2480 or email email@example.com to arrange a time.
- Woodland Park Zoo is having its annual food drive and Turkey Toss on Saturday starting at 9:30 a.m. They’ll be collecting non-perishable food donations outside the Zoo’s south entrance at N. 50th St. and Fremont Ave. Food collected will benefit the Phinney Neighborhood Association soup kitchen program. Admission to the zoo is not required to donate. However, if you do go in, watch some of the carnivorous residents get treated to an early raw turkey dinner at the Turkey Toss from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Friends of Fremont Peak Park is having one last work party on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (rain or shine) to plant and mulch before the winter. They’ll also introduce the new Adopt-a-Spot program so people can maintain different sections of the park on their own time. Coffee and snacks will be provided. Snack donations very welcome. Bring your own shovel and buckets if you have any. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org so they have enough of everything.
- The Fremont Abbey Arts Center (4272 Fremont Ave N) is celebrating its 4th birthday on Saturday and everyone is invited to come to their party! There will be a Community Feast starting at 6:00 p.m. with music and entertainment throughout the evening. Main course provided for a $5 donation. Feel free to bring a side dish or drinks. More info here.
- Following the birthday party on Saturday, check out the last show of the 2009 Elephant Engine Revival Tour at the Fremont Abbey from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. The show features slam poets Buddy Wakefield, Derrick Brown and Anis Mojgani. Tickets are $10-$20 and can be bought here.
- Also on Saturday is the 4th annual 20something – the new vintage wine tasting event at Fremont Studios (155 N. 35th St) from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. More than 75 Washington wineries pour their $30 and under new releases and favorites. Cost is $50 single, $90 pair, and includes nibbles from several trendy local restaurants. KEXP DJ Derek Mazzone will be spinning the music. More info and tickets can be found here.
If you have any events to add to our events calendar, email us at email@example.com.