News blog for Seattle's Fremont neighborhood

Pay parking meters in operation

By Geeky Swedes · March 11th, 2009 · 18 Comments

The hoods are off the newly-installed paid parking meters, and that signals the official end of free parking for 70 spots in the center of Fremont. The meters cost $1.50 an hour for a total of two hours.

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sheila // Mar 12, 2009 at 9:55 am

So much easier to find a spot now.

• 2 SDH // Mar 12, 2009 at 10:07 am

Yeah it might be easier in the centre area where the meters are, but you try finding a place to park overnight around 35th… Total nightmare. I am assuming it’s people who haven’t got residents passes for north of 36th who now are parking south of 36th. There are just cars and cars doing circuits looking for a space.

• 3 Sheila // Mar 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

Fortunately, I live at the top of Fremont and haven’t been affected by the RPZ issue. They are probably going to have to expand the RPZ zone.

• 4 Laura // Mar 13, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Meanwhile, the stores in Fremont are going down. A store in the 600 block of 35th Street is going out of business. Fremonsters, please spend your money in the business district. The imposition of paid parking on the center of the Center of the U is toxic for us. The paid spaces are frequently vacant, serving no one.

It’s also pretty appalling to see, as I walk home up the hill into upper Fremont, that on-street parking is being timed now as far north as Bowdoin Place. This doesn’t help our neighborhood.

• 5 Carolyn // Mar 14, 2009 at 11:49 am

Sad, very sad.

• 6 Julie // Mar 14, 2009 at 4:51 pm

I’m so frustrated. I know the city needs revenue, but please don’t guise it as providing more open parking in Fremont. For residents of Fremont, there are far LESS parking spaces now. My husband and I have a heck of a time finding free and overnight parking near(and even blocks away) our apartment. When we do find a space, we don’t want to move. I mean even if we need to drive to see family or friends, we don’t want to go because we’d lose a spot. We are looking for apartments away from Fremont BECAUSE of the new paid parking.

• 7 Sheila // Mar 16, 2009 at 10:31 am

Why not just get the RPZ pass? It doesn’t cost that much money and you’d have a spot near your apartment.

• 8 SDH // Mar 16, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Sheila you’re comments show a lack of understanding for anyone who’s situation is not EXACTLY like yours. Anyone who lives south of 36th may well be eligible for an RPZ pass… but there are no RPZ spaces south of 36th (as far as I’m aware.) So we would have to walk a considerable distance to use those spaces.

• 9 Sheila // Mar 16, 2009 at 4:30 pm

SDH, do I know your EXACT situation? No, I don’t. Getting snippy with me isn’t the answer though. Complain to the city or not, but don’t try to tell me that I don’t understand the parking wars in Fremont. You don’t know MY exact situation.

• 10 SDH // Mar 17, 2009 at 7:35 am

Sheila I’ve read your “I’m alright Jack” posts on this subject and care little for your exact situation. It is reasonable to assume that those having difficulty with the parking have already considered their RPZ options. “Just get the RPZ pass” is not a helpful answer. As for writing to anyone to complain… my understanding is that the city are already well aware of Fremonsters opinions on this subject and have chosen to ignore us entirely.

• 11 Julie // Mar 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm

SDH, yes, that’s my situation, I live down near PCC and even this morning at 5:30am (me, half asleep, walking to my car in my PJ’s!), there were no available free spots. Today I drove to work (usually I walk). The unnecessary pollution and use of gas is so frustrating. Where are all these open RPZ spaces?

• 12 Seattlite // Mar 17, 2009 at 9:25 am

The RPZ stops directly below our street and now we have ZERO spots in front of our house. It’s absolutely infuriating. We’ve had several cars that have been left over the weekend in front of our house and no one on our street seems to know whom they belong to. The city should have extended the RPZ into all of Fremont or not done it at all.

• 13 harold // Mar 17, 2009 at 11:26 am

Have paid meters helped local business? Any feed back from shop owners?

• 14 Sheila // Mar 17, 2009 at 11:07 pm

SDH – The reason I can park in my area is because I pay for parking. There's no parking available on my street now and there never has been. I understand that you are frustrated. When I suggested that you get a RPZ pass, I had no way of knowing that it wasn't an option for you.

• 15 snoopy // Mar 18, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I am very excited about the new meters. As someone who drives to fremont to shop I will visit much more often now. One of the deterrents in the past has been the lack of parking.

• 16 Sheila // Mar 18, 2009 at 6:26 pm

My friends say the exact same thing. I'm in that part of Fremont several times per week and it's been so much better since the meters went up. I'm purposely shopping there more now.

• 17 RM // Mar 28, 2009 at 4:02 am

Excuse me but isn't anyone wondering were the money for these passes or the money for parking meters is going? Obviously roads aren't being fixed with the money. Were is the money going?

• 18 EP // Apr 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm

Snoopy and Sheila,

Ever heard of taking a bus? That's what I do when I head to Capitol Hill or downtown because there is nowhere to park.

These meters discourage the use of public tranportation. Which is the opposite of what we should be doing.